Facts about our National Rail network
Some interesting information for you to ponder while you travel around our National Rail network on your BritRail Pass:
- The furthest reaches of the National Rail Network are:
- Most North Station: Thurso in Scotland
- Most South Station: Penzance in Cornwall
- Most West Station: Arisaig in Scotland
- Most East Station: Lowestoft in Suffolk
- The longest single journey on one train is from Aberdeen to Penzance, taking 13 and a half hours and covering 785 miles
- There is 15,795 km (approx 9,820 miles) of track on the National Rail network
- With over 20,000 passenger services a day
- Making over 1.5 billion passenger journeys per year
- Operated by some 4,000 trains
- Stopping at aproximately 2,500 railway stations around the country
- All serviced by 23 different Train Operating Companies
- (...plus a further 3 open access operators)
- Other interesting facts:
- Together there are an incredible 40,000 tunnels and viaducts in Britain
- As well as around 9,000 level crossings...
- ...and over 1,100 signal boxes!
Enjoy your journey!...